Accessibility statement for niarecruitment.org
The Northern Ireland Assembly is always working to make this website accessible and easy to use for everyone, no matter what browser you use, and whether or not you have any disabilities. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader
You may find the following links useful in adjusting the settings of the browser that you use to navigate our website more comfortably
- Find and add accessibility extensions in the Google Chrome web browser
- Accessibility features in the Firefox web browser
- Ease of access in Microsoft Edge
- Android accessibility overview
- Accessibility on iOS
For guidance on adapting your computer to your accessibility needs, visit AbilityNet. Their site shows you how to:
- make your mouse easier to use
- use keyboard shortcuts instead of a mouse
- talk to your device
- get your device to read content
- make text larger
- change text and background colours
- magnify the screen
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
How accessible is the website?
We have endeavoured to make the website as accessible as possible however you may encounter sections that are not as easy to navigate as others are.
- Our interactive organisational chart may be difficult to navigate. If you experience any issues, you can access the text version provided.
- Some pages may have poor colour contrast.
- The ‘Latest jobs’ carousel on the home page cannot be paused or stopped.
- There may be some issues tabbing through the website with your keyboard. If you experience any difficulty, please let us know and we will look to address the issue.
- Some online forms may be difficult to navigate using just a keyboard. If you do encounter any issues, let us know and we will provide the service to you in a different format.
- There’s a limit to how far you can magnify the map on our ‘contact us’ page. Please use our text directions to find out how to get to the Estate.
- Our ‘History of the Assembly’ video is not fully accessible.
What to do if you cannot access parts of this website
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- Email: [email protected]
- Call: 028 9052 1137
- Postal Address: Northern Ireland Assembly, Parliament Buildings, Ballymiscaw, Stormont , Belfast BT4 3XX
- Textphone: 028 9052 1209 (Please note that this is a textphone number only)
We’ll consider your request and get back to you as soon as possible.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
Maintaining an accessible site is an ongoing process and the Assembly Web Team welcomes any feedback that will help us improve accessibility on the website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, please email [email protected] or call 028 9052 1137.
The Equality Commission for Northern Ireland (ECNI) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Commission.
Visiting Parliament Buildings
If you would like to visit the building, please view our accessibility information to find out the arrangements and facilities that we offer.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
The Northern Ireland Assembly is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non compliance with the accessibility regulations
Our interactive organisational chart may be difficult to access. The interactive chart fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.4.5 (images of text). However we have provided a text alternative for anyone who experiences difficulties.
Navigation and accessing information
When navigating the website with a keyboard, it is possible to skip repeated content in the page header and links will be highlighted as you tab through them. We have also taken steps to avoid keyboard ‘traps’. Content should still be accessible whether viewed in horizontal or vertical orientation and no matter how large the text size.
However, as the website is very new (as of November 2019) it has not yet been fully tested. If you have any difficulty in navigating the site or accessing content, please get in touch and we will consider the issue and provide the content in an alternative format where possible.
Interactive tools and transactions
Our interactive forms should be easily navigable (as each form control has an associated ‘label’ tag). If you experience any problems, please get in touch and we can process your request in another manner if appropriate.
Some of our interactive forms are difficult to navigate using a keyboard. For example, because some form controls are missing a ‘label’ tag.
Our inquiries contact form is built using the WordPress platform and its associated contact form widget. Our newsletter form is also built using a WordPress widget integrated with MailChimp, the email management service.
PDFs and other documents
We try to ensure that all PDF and documents on the website are as accessible as possible. Before uploading Word documents we use the Microsoft Word 2016 Accessibility Check to search for any issues and then take approopriate action to remedy anything highlighted. Similarly, PDF documents are analysed using Adobe Acrobat’s inbuilt Accessibility tool and any issues are addressed with the recommended actions before upload.
How we tested this website
This website, niarecruitment.org, was last tested in-house on 12 November 2019.
As the website is comparatively small, we tested every page. However the site was not tested with any assistive technologies and therefore there may be sections of the site which may prove difficult to access or navigate. If you do experience any of these issues, please get in touch.
This accessibility statement applies only to the niarecruitment.org microsite and not our main website, niassembly.gov.uk, or any of our other microsites.
This statement was prepared on 1 November 2019. It was last updated on 12 November 2019.