Director of Corporate Services
Stiúrthóir Seirbhísí Corparáideacha
Salary: £96,498 – £99,508
Closing date: 4pm (UK time) on Friday 11 November 2022
Assembly Grade: 2
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an outstanding individual to join the Northern Ireland Assembly’s Senior Management Team as Director of Corporate Services. This is a challenging and rewarding position and you will make a significant contribution to the leadership, life and work of the Assembly.
Working at the Assembly offers a dynamic and rewarding career. You will be joining an exceptional, high-profile organisation with a dedicated and inclusive team, working in a fast moving and constantly changing political environment, where no two days are the same.
We are seeking a talented, motivated, energetic leader focused not only on delivering the highest quality of services, but also on maintaining and developing a professional, highly skilled and motivated workforce. You should have a passion for the Assembly and be able to bring ambition, innovation and fresh thinking to our services and how we deliver them.
The Director of Corporate Services reports directly to the Clerk/Chief Executive. As a member of SMT, the Director of Corporate Services provides collective strategic and operational leadership and advises and supports the Clerk/Chief Executive in her non-procedural duties.
SMT comprises the Clerk/Chief Executive, the Director of Corporate Services, the Director of Legal, Governance and Research Services and the Director of Parliamentary Services.
The Director of Corporate Services is a critical role with significant responsibility for leading and managing the Assembly Commission’s main corporate functions of Finance, Human Resources (HR), Building Services and Usher Services, with approximately 140 staff.
- Financial services – corporate strategy development, business planning, budgeting, monitoring, financial reporting, payroll services for staff, Members and Members’ staff, the administration of financial support to Members and the administration of the Assembly Members’ Pension Scheme.
- HR services – recruitment and retention, learning and development, industrial relations (for example, the administration of discipline and grievance procedures), performance management, attendance management, equality and good relations. HR advice and support services to Members.
- Building services – maintenance and management of the Grade-A listed Parliament Buildings, health and safety, sustainable development, catering, cleaning and the supply of office stationery and equipment.
- Usher services – visitor management and internal and external security.
The Director of Corporate Services requires a range of highly effective leadership and management skills and an extensive level of relevant experience to manage these corporate functions effectively and efficiently and to continue to transform their delivery through innovation and the development of high-performing teams.
The Director of Corporate Services will also play a key role in developing, implementing and monitoring the Assembly Commission’s Corporate Strategy and Corporate Plan.
We are therefore seeking an impactful leader, with a track record of achievement and an ethos of customer focus and continuous improvement to deliver high-quality, progressive and efficient services.
- Contribute to the strategic and collective leadership of SMT.
- Contribute to the development, monitoring and review of the Assembly Commission’s ambitious Corporate Strategy, Corporate Plan and Annual Plans.
- Lead on, or contribute to, the development of corporate policies to support the business of the Assembly Commission.
- Build and maintain effective and constructive strategic relationships with Members, government officials, legislatures and a range of other key stakeholders such as the Commissioner for Standards and the proposed new Remuneration Board (formerly the Independent Financial Review Panel).
- Lead and direct strategic transformation through benchmarking and best practice against other similar organisations.
People and Performance
- Provide dynamic and visionary leadership for staff, creating an enthused and responsive workforce that is highly proficient and focused on delivering excellence in all aspects of the organisation.
- Embed a culture of learning and innovation and ensure that staff are appropriately qualified, experienced and skilled in order to deliver the services required by the Assembly.
- Promote a strong performance culture by focussing on targets and outcomes.
- Embed a culture of continuous improvement through organisational development, transformational change and innovation to deliver services that are high-quality, progressive, efficient and customer focused.
- Develop and maintain an organisational performance framework to ensure successful and timely delivery of contracts and projects.
Accountability and Corporate Governance
- Maintain a robust framework for sound financial management and the monitoring and control of budgets to ensure the effective use of public resources and maximise value for money.
- Prepare high quality, clear, concise papers and reports for SMT and the Assembly Commission to keep them appraised of relevant corporate matters.
- Comply with all of the Assembly Commission’s staff policies and procedures including Equal Opportunities and Dignity at Work policies and procedures and all mandatory training requirements.
- Manage information and records in accordance with established policies and statutory requirements.
You may also be required to carry out other duties that the Clerk/Chief Executive reasonably requires of you.