The main duties and responsibilities of an Assistant Librarian are:
- To assist in managing the Library’s Enquiry Desk, staffing the enquiry desk on a rota basis, providing excellent customer service and training Clerical Officer colleagues in Desk policies and procedures.
- Ensure deadlines are met with high quality, objective information provided to Members, party staff, and Secretariat staff. Enquiry responses will be gleaned from interrogating a variety of commercial and free web-based resources and hard copy materials.
- To assist the Librarians to monitor and suggest improvements for standards of service delivery and to be able to explain Library policies to customers.
- To participate in the collection, monitoring and evaluation of Library performance management information.
- To manage the classification and cataloguing of all hard-copy and some pdf materials and manage retrospective cataloguing projects and revisions to records on the Library Management System, writing associated policies and guidance as required.
- To work with the Enquiries Librarian in selecting new hard-copy Library purchases in line with the Library’s Collection Development Policy and assist in managing expenditure against budget. To supervise the Clerical Officer’s use of the Assembly’s online ordering system to order and receipt materials from suppliers.
- To liaise with external suppliers of information.
- To deputise as required for the Librarian.
- To line manage one Clerical Officer.
- To manage own professional development to improve job performance and fulfil future potential.
- To participate in any Library project teams as required by the Librarian or Senior Librarian and to manage production of any associated documentation.
- To assist in the marketing of the Library Service, and RaISe generally, by providing awareness and induction sessions to Members and party staff, Researchers, Secretariat staff and students.
- To compile Information Packs to support Plenary Debates on Private Members’ Motions, Private Members’ Bills and some Committee Motions, to high standards and agreed deadlines and to supervise their publication and distribution to Members.
- To compile Event Packs to support Members attending conferences and events such as Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA), British-Irish Parliamentary Assembly (BIPA) and North-South Inter-Parliamentary Association (NSIPA), in liaison with Northern Ireland Assembly (NIA) Parliamentary Engagement colleagues.
- To assist with implementation of all Library policies and procedures and to communicate these and information about any other Library product to customers and colleagues in a clear, concise, impartial and timely manner.
- To participate in the Assembly’s performance management system, setting aims and objectives and meeting regularly with the Enquiries/Plenary Support Librarian to discuss performance.
- To manage information and records in accordance with established policies and statutory requirements.
- To comply with all of the Assembly Commission’s staff policies and procedures including Equal Opportunities and Dignity at Work policies and procedures and all mandatory training requirements.
- Carry out other duties that the Assembly Commission may reasonably require of you.